So, I’ve finally got my stuff together, life has settled down, and the mojo to get back to my projects. I have a lot to post on other art projects I’ve done in the past (cough) couple years or so but first, I figured I’d give an update on where I am with the Arena Depixelization Project. Yes, it’s still on.
I have loaded up the textures into OpenTesArena. It allows very easy testing of levels without having to play the game. You can just select what level at the menu screen and load it. Right out the gate, I’m very happy with the starter dungeon. No need to mess with that in my opinion.
However, the wall textures in the very next main quest dungeon are too jarring. So I have already toned them down for next iteration (not pictured below).
Then I skipped to the 3rd main quest dungeon and found these round blob walls that just don’t cut it. So next I will clean those up. My plan is to systematically go through them all, until there are sufficiently aesthetic pleasing (or tolerable) then I will release ADP 1.0.
Limitations of Arena
There will be limitation right now as the texture combination for some of the levels is very off. Maybe one day, OpenTesArena will allow us to edit the level files and add new textures. Then we’d be able to makes matching or complimentary “tile sets” for each level, adding cohesion and variety overall. But, until then, this is what we got.